All Barbour Waxed Jackets need some level of upkeep to ensure the wax keeps the jacket waterproof. Barbour Thornproof Wax Dressing is the secret to making a Barbour waxed jacket last a lifetime. This original formula is used in making Barbour fabrics, it’s easy to apply at home , helping to preserve both the fabric and its waterproof qualities.
Use to reproof and wax a whole garment or to the parts which get the most wear, such as elbows, creases and pocket edges. Barbour recommend that you reproof your jacket every one to two years, depending on wear.
Rather than sending your jacket away to be re-proofed you can buy a tin of Barbour Wax Thornproof Dressing and do it at home yourself.
Step by step guide to rewaxing your Barbour Waxed Jacket
What you Need….
- Barbour Wax Thornproof Dressing
- Two sponges or Cloths
- Hot Water
- Jug/Container (Large enough for Hot Water to surround the Wax tin)
- Hair dryer
- Clean Surface
- Coat Hanger
How to do it ….
- Clean your jacket with cold water and a sponge. Do not use any soaps or detergents and Never EVER use a washing machine!!!
- Leave the jacket to dry whist you prepare your work area.
- Open the tin of thornproof dressing wax and stand it in hot water until the wax has melted clear.
- Use one piece of cloth to work the wax nice and evenly into the jacket, you can use a second piece of cloth to wipe any excess wax as you work. Blend any dark patches as you apply the wax. Pay close attention to the seams, creases and areas of heavy use. You can use a hair dryer to smooth out the wax. This will help give your jacket the look of what Barbour calls “The Factory Finish”
- Hang your jacket to dry over night, if you have any uneven patches simply blend away using the heat from hair dryer.
To buy click here Barbour Thornproof Dressing in our shop and online.